Sunday, April 14, 2013

Writing Realistic Dialogue Part I


"Hey, over here," he whispered.
"What?" she asked.
"Over here."
"I can't see anything in this."
"Just follow my voice, and don't point your gun at me."
He heard feet scuffling over the brush toward him. She fell with a thud and he felt as if he was punched in the arm. She had shot him.
"Dina," he whispered. She crawled toward him.
"What?" she asked. It was answered by silence. "Francis? Answer me."
"I can't I am now dead, and this is the last time I take you to play paintball."
"Thank goodness. I hate this. I hope you left something to me in your will."

Dialogue is an important part of fiction writing. It is said to be good practice to put a plethora of dialogue in the first few pages of your book. I, however, am a firm believer that it not only has to be dialogue but good dialogue.

Stay away from trying to go through your thesaurus to find synonyms of said.

Don't be afraid to go on a run of dialogue and take out the he said and she said. If there are two people talking, the reader will know they are taking turns. The he said and she said just slows down the momentum of the conversation.

Read your dialogue out loud. That is the best way to make sure it is genuine.

Stay away from accent, twang and all that fun stuff. It is hard to do.

"Jeet et"

"No jew?"

No comments:

Post a Comment