Author Lexi Revellian had an insightful view on the Appeal of post-apocalyptic fiction here.
Her theories ranged from escaping everyday monotony, having more control over your own life, everyone has a looter inside them, immediate justice, etc.
I agree with a lot of her theories about the draw to post-apocalyptic fiction.
Here are some additional theories of mine:
- Being able to explore or have access to places where you never have been able.
- Breaking petty barriers. Class, race, sex, gender, etc.
- Getting back to nature. Getting to a life of simplicity.
- Making life more exciting. Go from a life of finishing a big paper was the highlight of you day to building a boat or a shelter was the highlight.
- A sense of starting over and being part of that start. That rings of some hope.
- Chance to be a Bad-Ass.