Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Journey of Rookie Writer Michael Vogel

"So I froze!! I quit writing all together.  I found other things to do with my time.  The whole time, I felt a void, because I wasn't writing, but I still would not pick up a pen or tap on the keypad."            -M. Vogel

Any of you that have been following "Writer & Wilderness Girl Under It All" know that I lived in the woods for four years with at-risk youth. Two years into my career I transferred to a new camp in North Carolina. A handful of counselors and myself built the camper and hut. One of those counselors was Michael Vogel. We have reconnected and now he is being featured on my blog. Also, he is my official first writer who I am officially mentoring. I find it inspiring to watch writers beginning their journey.

Why write? A question that some people have asked me before.  My response, why not?  Writing is one of the easiest hobbies that you can have.  Anybody can write, pick up a pen and paper, and let it go.  My method is a little more, ehhh, just get out the old computer and start pecking away on the keyboard.

I am an old pro at writing.  I have always loved to write.  Nothing specific, just write.  It was always difficult for me to talk to girls that I had interest in.  So I attempted to write poetry, as a way to communicate.  That was if I could ever get the nerve to actually give it to them.  I would find that my luck with women was not what I wanted it to be back then, and I believe this is where my writing started. Also, I actually wrote for my school newspaper in high school, but I felt like writing for a newspaper may not have been the best job in the world. (If I would have known then what I know now, I would have thought a little more about that as a major.)

Now the blogging thing, is a new thing to me, and I have not really done a whole lot. I you could say (to use a sports analogy) I am a rookie, but I feel like I have some talent that maybe the coaches may see, and give me a shot to showcase my abilities.  So I set out last year when my son was born, to do this big daddy blog, but time and excuses got in the way.  I just did not think that people really cared, what I was writing and I felt very few people had interest in what I had to say.  So I froze!! I quit writing all together.  I found other things to do with my time.  The whole time, I felt a void, because I wasn't writing, but I still would not pick up a pen or tap on the keypad.  I just let it go.

I often read blogs, and am encouraged what other people write.  I have a kid, who I identify as my little brother.  The kid is PASSIONATE, about writing.  He blogs often, and has multiple ideas for books that he wants to write.  Still I did not pick up the pen and left the keyboard alone unless I was searching the web, Tweeting, or Facebooking. 

About a month or two ago, my friend and author, challenged me to write again.  So I asked her if she would mentor me, and challenge me, to continue to write.  So this is where we are at, my blog site is up and running, I have promised her that I will continue to write and she has stated that she will continue to give me encouragement along the way.

The goals I have I will save for another night.  I do feel like a book may be in the works in the future, but for now, I will continue to make you laugh as I give you a glimpse inside my world of being a dad, husband, football coach, golf hack and just goofy ole me.  Thanks for giving me a bit of your time today.

Follow Mike's Newbie journey at http://amishgiant.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment