I did a lot of research on how to find them. Go to my post on finding beta readers. Despite all this research and efforts, I had a hard time scraping up some readers. I was successful through the World Lit Cafe and Ladies Who Critique. Even though I posted several posts on many sites, I only had a few people to be Beta Readers. Three of them were through swaps. (Although I love reading, I liked their writing. I would rather have spent that time writing.) It was nice to help them out, too.
I got connected to five Beta Readers. In two weeks, four of them gave me pages of feedback. One of them is a friend of mine, three were unsure and unfamiliar with the lesbian romance genre, and one was an avid reader of lesbian romance.
What was great about this process?
- They were very pleasant to work with.
- Three of them are writers, so they know some of the things to look for.
- They were fast readers.
- I gave them parameters of what to look for and concentrate on, and they gave me feedback on it.
- They gave me very specific feedback.
- They liked my book!
- Many of them were excited about the book.
- Two people read the book in less than 24 hours. (I like to chalk that up to them really liking the book, but they just might be fast readers.)