Friday, January 31, 2014

Enticing Judges & Readers

Along with wondering whom I write for (see previous post), I am trying to find ways to entice judges and readers. The pressure is on with the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (ABNA) deadline in sixteen days. I have been filling all my moments with writing a pitch, super polishing my first 5000 words and editing and re-editing my entire novel.

I am still new to the writing world and waiting for one of my books to be a huge success. I would settle for a little success. I love to write and I am not afraid to say that I want people to enjoy my story. I would love for the to fall in love with my characters. I welcome emails begging me for my autograph. Okay, I know that went too far.

I have been researching author's advice to inspire me. Here are some that appealed to me.

“I’m always pretending that I’m sitting across from somebody. I’m telling them a story, and I don’t want them to get up until it’s finished.” -James Patterson

Heck, yeah. That is great advice. Picture someone who you want to keep their attention. I read a review of my book Trail Swap and the reader said that they could not put the book down. That is such a compliment especially when it does not involve glue or anti-gravity.

"Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted." -Kurt Vonnegut
I hate reading books and having to force myself to keep reading. That usually only happens if I am beta reading or it is a nonfiction book that I need information.

“If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word.” — Margaret Atwood
That takes some pressure off. It is easy for Atwood to say, her books are pretty amazing.

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.” - J.D Salinger 
I have felt this on multiple occasions and started stalking the author. (By stalking I mean reading other books and reading their blog. I have yet to sit outside their house. That might only be because they don't live nearby.)
 
“When I write, I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth.” - Kurt Vonnegut 
This coming from Vonnegut is very validating. It is hard to believe that such a story magician had such a feeling while writing.

What are your favorite quotes about writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment