Saturday, March 1, 2014

Life Inspired

I read a post 20 Things Everyone should Do at least Once. There is a list that someone thought were NEED to DO things. I have done 17 of them. I have not designed my own house, driven coast to coast or lived in another country. What does this have to do with writing?

EVERYTHING!

I guess it depends on your state of mind. Some writers travel the country or the world trying to inspiration. Others are of the mindset that you just have to stay put and immerse yourself in the culture.
Bryce Canyon on the Green Tortoise Trip 1999
Ten years ago I used to travel a lot. At one point I could fit all my possessions in an '82 Honda and drove around the east coast of the US visiting friends and camping. I have driven up the coast of California. That is how I found my first wife (long story). I traveled on the Green Tortoise travel bus. That was one of my best traveling experiences but it is not for everyone. You have to not mind sleeping close to others and be able to tolerate others. I have lived in Florida, NJ, PA, MA and NC.

That was before I got married and acquired kids. I am not one of those people who think that you can't travel once you have kids. It just gets a little tougher. It cost a lots more to travel with 5 instead of 1 or 2 people. Also, we have a house and pets including a dog. That requires someone to watch the pets or find somewhere that allows a dog.

Cali and Taz
Writing this, I realize that I have a travel bug (not the geocaching kind) and need to find a way to do it. I love my dog Cali and it is hard to leave her for any part of time. I care about the family cats but they are more tolerable of vacations. I think that I would love to head out west. I think my kids might be at an age that can appreciate the sites.

I just have to find a way to do this. My number one thought is an RV. I just need someone to loan me an RV and loan me a credit card to pay for gas. Any takers?

I think that experiencing new, exciting, and challenging things is the foundation of my writing. I would like to visit friends, travel, learn a new skill, etc.

What are your thoughts on travel and writing?
What is on your list of things someone must do in their lifetime?






No comments:

Post a Comment