Saturday, March 15, 2014

Potential Writing Adventure

#AmtrakResidency: Application FormLast night I applied for the Amtrak Residency along with probably 10,000 other writers. Amtrak is giving 24 writers a 2-5 day residency on one of their trains. The 24 lucky, selected writers get a private room, a desk, a window and inspiring scenery. Here is an the Amtrak Residency Official Application.
I know that it is a long shot. I would have to stand-out among 10,000+ writers but a girl can dream.

The application required me to write why I want to do the residency, how it would benefit my writing and to submit 10 pages of one of my writings. I worked hard at being witty and trying to submit something worthy of a residency. In the end, I wonder if being a self-published, newbie writer would be my Achilles heel.

It would be nice to have some time just for some writing, be surrounded by strangers to inspire writing, have some sites to take in and to be alone. To me it sounds like a distraction free environment filled with food for my writing.

Since it is a long shot, it got me thinking about other writing retreat opportunities. I would love something rustic enough to be simple but still having access to the Internet and electricity. Having my dog Cali as a companion would be stellar. I am inspired to check on-line of writer's retreats or cheap, cheap places to stay.

One of the best trips I ever took was on the Green Tortoise in 1999. We did a national parks loop for 14 days. We started in San Francisco and hit Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Arches, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. It was a trip I did solo and lived on a bus with 30+ strangers mostly from other countries. That sounds too crowded now for a writing retreat but that was inspirational.

What about a campground tour? A cabin on a lake? A tree house? It would be a bonus to have a live-in chef.

What has been your best writing retreat?
What kind of trip would you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment