Sunday, February 16, 2014

Growing as a Writer

I recently read a post by Jody Hedlund on the Value of Clocking in Time and Words . In this post Hedlund writes about noticing her growth as a writer. She revisited a book she had written six years ago. She was able to look at the book more objectively and saw not tremendously she had grown as a writer. Her post talks about valuing the time and words that you write. She states that thousands upon thousands words later she is a more confident and mature writer.

This brought me to think about my own writing journey.

  • Perfect Practice. I am a firm believer that perfect practice makes perfect. In regards to any new skill, practice alone does not make you good. You can paint a hundred rooms, shoot a hundred baskets but still not be doing it right. You could be just reinforcing a bad habit.
  • Experience. I have had less than two years concentrating on writing to be published. I have finished five manuscripts.
  • Learning. I have been networking with writers, reading blogs and reading books.
  • Beta Readers. A new addition to my writing process is beta readers. I got lucky and have a handful of good ones. They added heavily to my transformation of Love's Autograph.
  • WriteWay. Using a new writing tool that is an invention of the writing goddesses. I can move easily around in my novel and it can be read back to me. It keeps me organized.
I have learned so much in less than two years. I, however, have a long way to go. I would love to have a writing mentor. I need someone to guide my writing and writing process. I would love a coach.

I am going to keep writing, using my tools, utilizing beta readers and search for a mentor and/or coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment