Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Writing: Experiencing some Success

I am writing you at the tail end of a nasty fight with the flu. That is not a very cheery way to start a post about some great headway in my writing. I think I just put the flu part in there as a disclaimer for any delusional sentences.

They last two weeks I have had tremendous success with my new book Love's Autograph. The success has been so overwhelming that I have been walking around with a silly grin on my face. I keep checking the sales numbers and thinking "is this really happening?" My wife has even gotten in on the act and checks my Amazon sales report daily. The phrase "what's for dinner?" has been replaced by "have you checked how many you sold today?"

It is not only the amount that I have sold but the REVIEWS I have been getting. There are a bunch of uplifting comments on the Amazon Review site. The first review I read was not very favorable, and I thought "Oh no, here we go again." Then the good ones started rolling in. (I really thing that author's on Amazon should be able to delete at least five reviews.)

Oh, I also found out that I did not make it to the quarter finals of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. The success that I have been having with Love's Autograph has overshadowed that.

I feel like these two weeks of little success has led me to think about the next level to take my writing. I also have a little bit of money to play around with. Some of the reviews focused on my editing mistakes. Despite the GRUELING hours of going over the book and having eight beta readers, there are still errors. Thus, I spent some time today researching editors.

Also, my wife does a great job with what she knows how to do in creating a book cover, but it is not professional. I am thinking about hiring a graphic designer for my cover.

What would you identify as milestones in your writing?
How do you bring your writing to the next level?

1 comment:

  1. I thaught that the cover you had on Love's Autograph was great with a guitar on the front it was very apt.

    ReplyDelete