Some writers get stuck in the trend of writing about things that they wished happened to them or how they wished things would happen. What they usually get is a book that is smooth sailing, happy ending, and no bumps. In other words, it is boring!
If you want to write about something you would like to achieve in life like finding the one true love, buying a house in the country, or becoming a rock star try the following:
- Journal about it.
- Write an outline of the story/book and then throw every speed bump, road block, and wrench into the story. You might even want the main character to not reach his/her goal.
- True Love is a Serial Killer
- Allergic to Dogs now that she finally can afford her dream dog.
- The amusement park is closed. (Oh wait, that one has been done before.)
- Accomplish the goal in real life. Get a life coach if you need it.
- Find a way to put a spin on the story. Add a subplot, a twist, humor, etc.
- While writing the book, think if it is interesting and does it have qualities to grab a reader's attention.
- If all else fails, write a short story about it to get it out of your system.