Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Off to China

I finished Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. It was a pretty good book. The best part was not in the action, but in the description of the times. As a writer, I was struck by the fact that it was a guy who wrote the book. The thoughts of the main character a girl turned woman was so believable that I was very intrigued that this author captured this so well. I did some quick research and found tha Arthur was a history and art buff, and created a wonderful historical fiction.

He captured the desperation of the main character Chiyo Sakamoto and her plight to follow her destiny. Many times in the book it felt as if she was walking upstream and tripping over rocks, and pushed by the current. Toward the end of the book, she makes yet another huge, life-altering mistake and I cringed knowing there were not many pages left. That is when I know an author has me. When I cringe at an outcome that might be handed down, or mourn the loss of a character.

Not disappointed at all by this book. Four cups of tea. Off to China . . . I have several books to pick from.

No comments:

Post a Comment